Sunday, April 1, 2007

Reminiscing With Friends


Last night we went to a “church family” wedding. It is a family that I have spent much time with throughout my life. It is through them that I met the man of my prayers. It was a large wedding with most of the people from our home church in attendance. It was so wonderful to see everyone again!

It was equally wonderful to talk to so many people that had been consistently praying for me.

The guy who aggravated me and irritated me most when we were much younger (all in his good fun) came up to Barry and told him that his feet never hit the floor in the morning until he prays for me. That was so touching!

A lady came up to me that had gone through breast cancer herself said that she is awake most every night during the early hours praying for me and others. She has now started a ministry to cancer patients. How ironic, she told God when she went into nursing the only thing she didn't want to be was a nurse working with cancer patients. God surely has a sense of humor.

It was wonderful to see so many people. As the years go by and we all get older, it is amazing to both Barry and me to see the amount of people that never, ever lose contact. It’s like when you see them, you haven’t lost touch with them at all…no matter how long it may have been. You can just pick up where you left off.

It was also a pleasure to be able to see those that help “mold me” for Christ. This one particular lady is 83 years old and she is a big part of why I am saved today. When I went astray from the Lord, she never quit calling me and inviting back to church. She just kept on me. I have never forgotten that. I sent her a letter thanking her for her 80th birthday.

Some of our friends, Helen and Ernie also helped shape me and helped me become who I am today because of the Word of God they poured into my life and continue to do so even today! They minister in the prisons with us and continue to pray daily for me.

My blogging buddy Pat was there too with her husband Hal and, as always, it was wonderful to see them. When her husband came up to me, he hugged me and kissed me and told me that he loves me and is praying for me. He had tears in his eyes!

I also spent quite a bit of time with their daughter, Amy that used to baby-sit for us when our daughter was little. What a wonderful woman of God she has turned out to be!


There were many other people there that have touched my life but there are so many that I can't put them all down here.
One other lady that I will mention though is Ginny. I can't remember how old she is but she has a daughter around my age. She came in glowing to the wedding. She had just been declared in remission from Leukemia the day before. Thank the Lord! I have been praying consistently for her since I heard about her.

It was just such a wonderful night and because of all of the people that came up to me and Barry telling us they are praying, they absolutely helped energize me for this long journey that I have been on. I pray and believe that it now has become shorter!

A few weeks ago we went to our former Pastor’s church in Ohio and that too was a true blessing. He sent an email tonight that absolutely touched my heart. I thank God for all of the friends God has allowed us to minister with throughout the years! Especially this man. He taught us so much. He ministered where there was a need!

I thank my God upon every remembrance of you. Philippians 1:3

3 comments:

Pat said...

Your closing verse is so dear to my heart - I DO thank God with every remembrance of my precious church family, they are all His hand extended. As someone pointed out at the wedding - it was almost more of a family reunion to all of us then a wedding - but I'm sure Adam and Ester would disagree! It was wonderful!

Sara said...

thank God for roots that grow deep...

KayMac said...

Wonderful to have so many friends who are praying for you and loving on you!!!!