Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Chemo

I am sitting here in the Cancer Center of Oakwood Hospital beginning my first chemo treatment in this round. From what I understand (and sometimes it's hard to understand) I will be getting this treatment once every 21 days and another once every 7 days. This first treatment will take the longest about 4 -5 hours. After that it will reduce by 30 minutes each week. I believe the one treatment will be for 4 weeks and I'm not sure how long the other one will last.

The nurses told me today that this particular kind of chemo gives you a skin rash and it is not pretty. It stays in your face, arms, chest area and maybe even your stomach area. I am just believing that it doesn't happen to me. It does not happen to everyone, so I want to be one of those, of course.

Yesterday I got a call from a dear Jamaican friend that is truly a prayer warrior. Her name is Mother Beckford. Now let me tell you, if anyone can pray and if anyone hears from God, it is her. She spends much of her days on her face in prayer.

She called because she thought something might be wrong. I told her that I would begin chemo again today and she was highly disappointed. She then told me a lot of things and how it was not God's will for me to be sick because we are so involved in the Prison Ministry and the prisoners need us. She also said something that totally "clicked" in my Spirit. She said that she could not find any place in the Bible that people got sick again after being healed. Because of the shrinkage and everything else going on in my life, all of the good reports, that she believes that I had been healed. I agree. If no one else in the Bible had to be re-healed, then why should I.

Then I was talking to Barry and he was saying to God, you don't have cancer and we are made in your image, so why should Arlene have cancer. This was never God's plan for us to stay unhealthy.

I can't wait to see what God has in store for us and the ministry when this is over. We are really excited. Please pray for us as we are on this journey.

21 comments:

KayMac said...

praying. believing. thanks for the updates.

Sara said...

amen.

Pat said...

I continue to pray for you - daily. I just love how you always are the exception to the rule - in fact you always come out looking better after chemo - it reverses your aging process too! May God continue to be glorified!!

Margie said...

praying for you. no icky rash.

Terry said...

Of course we will be continuing to be pray for you Arlene!
Those prisoners need you and your husband!...Love Terry

Amrita said...

I am praying for you.Your light will keep on shining.

Mike said...

Arlene, thank God for this trial. He has touched so many lives through this. We are all praying for you and know you will endure.

Mike said...

Is Mother Beckford from Harvest? I know the name.

Terry said...

Dear Arlene. I hope that you are feeling OK.
You are a very special person to the Lord and to us!...Love Terry

KayMac said...

You are on my mind and my heart. praying

Margie said...

God, I am just sitting here thinking about my friend Arlene, she's so much on my heart, God. Lord, Can you watch over her a little extra right now. Lord, keep her free from side affects, heal her in big ways God, and use her in the places she's at so that those around her can see Your glory. Lord, open their hearts, even if it's just a crack to hear the message You have for them. Lord, we love her, lots, not as much as You, but we love her, I mean lots. So heal her. Thanks. In Your son's healing name. AMEN!

donna said...

Praying for you...

donna

Terry said...

Dear Arlene
Everyday I come to see you by stepping stones.
I go to see Mrs. Mac's, step on to Miss Patty's from her site and then step from there over to see how you are doing and I want you to know that I am still praying as is everyone else for you and your husband....Love Terry

Rebecca said...

Thinking of you......and also for your husband, as you requested. I know it is not a journey for you alone.

Amrita said...

How are you Arlene. pray you are feeling better

Arlene - BY HIS STRIPES!!! said...

Thank you all so very, very much for your prayers. It has been an extremely hard week. This chemo wasn't supposed to be near as hard as the last, but I'm not sure it wasn't harder. I have to go back again on Wednesday. Will try to write more when I am feeling better. Thanks again, Love, Barry & Arlene

Mike said...

I knew that and will continue to pray for you. Get some rest.

Sara said...

just letting you know we are here praying for you and standing by. you don't have to worry about posting for us...we will speak for you when you are too tired. we love you both.
by his stripes,
s

KayMac said...

praying...

Pat said...

We're here. We're praying.

Terry said...

Dear Arlene...It is nice to hear your voice in the comment.
I just want you to know that I am still thinking about you and praying...Love Terry